January 11, 2012

Holidays are Behind

Oil, 35x50cm

10 days of holidays are behind. It was a time when the city was felt to be covered  in big warm fluffy blanket. Empty streets, no traffic, laziness in the air. And I tried to use this occasion to draw and to paint.

Why 10 days? Orthodox church Christmas is on 7th January. And New Year (orthodox calendar) is on 14th January (here wiki calendar's explanation if you want the details). And if you are a dedicated "celebrator" you can start on 25th December and finish celebrating on 15th January..
So our government decided few years ago that Russia needs long holiday in January (some people say that government people set this law for their own winter comfort in the Alps skiing, but I do not believe).

It was good time. And good that it is over, time to wake up!

My upper still life is from the drawing class.  Though the drawing has a lot of mistakes, I like the overall warm impression.
A5, Ink and watercolor in sketchbook
 The EDM drawing list is always great help if you search for drawing ideas. It inspired me to draw "something china". It is china pot and the chick on chicken's back hides the water hole.
The date stamp is my latest purchase.  I saw it in one of the "Urban Sketchers" blog and decided I need the same for my sketchbook.
A5, Ink and watercolor in sketchbook


 

This one was "Draw your toothbrush" in EDM. I spread the idea to wider view of the bathroom interior.
30x40cm, watercolour










I kept the photo of this vase on the windowsill for so long that I can not remember the author exactly. It was one of Jen's photos in Rookiepainter challenge in 2009, I think.


This painting was very well corresponding to the stillness and calmness of January holiday time .
This one is the result of the experiment, which I found in the drawing manual:
Take a photo, turn it upside down and draw lines and shapes, not legs, arms and head. That idea really worked! I did this sketch in upside down position in 30 minutes with almost no corrections. Time to switch off the thinking process and draw what one sees!

A4, watercolor and Neocolor sticks



And apples. I was inspired by apples' photo in this Russian artist's blog.
I wanted to practice watercolor's transparency and color combinations. Instead sketch was started in watercolor and finished in watercolor Neocolor sticks of my favorite bold colors' combination.



And, as usual in this blog's latest posts, I want to share my latest discovery:
Oona and her watercolor wonders.

23 comments:

  1. Hi Irina, you worked a lot during winter holidays. Even if, as you said, the still life has few imperfecions (which to me make the drawing more interesting) is, in my opinion, a beautiful painting, its composition is very originl and a I like the warm coloration you gave it. I also like the chicken, a wonderful work indeed. But let me say that, all what you did is very interesting! Ciao!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tito! Comments like yours give me courage and inspiration.

      Delete
  2. I love the china pot rooster. It is so full of life. Your coloration in the first painting is so warm. Enjoyed your narrative on your winter holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made good use of your holidays! I like them all, I always enjoy your sketches, and I love the shadows in the painting of the vase in the windowsill!

    ReplyDelete
  4. An interesting medley Irina, each one has its own beauty and character and details to study.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Irina you have been very busy and you did some wonderful things, but my favorites are your sketches, the hen and the kitchen window are perfect. Love how you just nail it and the freedom you have.

    ReplyDelete
  6. these are wonderful, irina. what a productive ten days you had! van gogh also worked very fast. some of his masterpieces were completed within an hour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brattcat! I like that "also" in Van Gogh connection))

      Delete
  7. You were not lazy during your holiday break but kept busy with some great paintings and drawings :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are what we repeatedly do, and you are a definitely a artist! The apples show the joy you felt in working with your liked medium, beautiful piece. Swimming in light and bursting from the paper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Edward! You are so right about my relationship with these apples!

      Delete
  9. What a nice collection of paintings --each one has its own flavor --like them all

    ReplyDelete
  10. been waiting to see the flat iron irina ...bello !!! ... pen + watercolour sketches are just super

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jane! I remember your watercolor version and like it very much, too!

      Delete
  11. You posted so many wonderful things! I like the iron painting and agree that the warm colors are beautiful. Your drawings are terrific. I love the one of your toothbrush and the china. Your apples made me hungry. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love all of the paintings on this lengthy post. I am unable to comment from home for some reason,so i am commenting from work ....shhh

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you, Cathy! I hope Blogger at your home works fine now.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...