November 30, 2010

Autumn glow

30x43cm (12"x17"), Arches 300gr (140lb) Cold pressed

This is my last exercise from the book "Watercolor Tips and Techniques". Do you see it on the book's cover? My favorite lesson. Actually, I bought the book when I saw this painting of Barry Herniman (link), wanted to know how he did the autumn sunlight THAT beautiful.

Now I know. The main word of the lesson is "spattering". Another often used expression "spray with water". And "pour colors". So first you pour, then spray (from right up to left down, getting this sun-blind effect. Next layer is "spattering and blending on paper".
And paper. It can be able to hold all the water layers. Arches could perfectly.
never knew that "step by step" lesson can be so free and unpredictable.

11 comments:

  1. I did some "spattering" using my oils to see what would happen and then I drizzled (?) paint thinner from top to bottom and bottom to top. It certainly didn't look nearly as beautiful as your painting! Maybe having talent is the first requirement? :-) ha ha

    Ken B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Che colori caldi! Molto bello Irina,complimenti!

    Ciao!

    Francesco

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good lessons! Learning and having fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the boldness of your colors Irina, won't eve get tired of saying it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Th glow of the colors is unmistakable Irina!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This has worked beautifully Irina. Definitely, you've caught the effect of autumn sunlight well :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect autumn colors! I think you really did a good exercise Irina. Ciao!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this is so beautiful, Irina! Fantastic! Ciao!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely autum atmosphere, Irina! I like it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ken, then you have nothing to worry about. And every time every new painting is like a challenge.
    Francesco, thank you, my friend!
    Noemi, so true. Thank you!
    Teresa, sometimes it confuses me. I am in watercolor, after all, bold colors are not watercolor thing... Thank you!
    Padmaja, thank you!
    Theresa, thank you!
    Tito, thank you!
    Cristina, thank you, you are so kind.
    Silvia, thank you!
    Rajeev, thank you and welcome!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...